The Low Carb Deep Fried Mushrooms will curb that craving for greasy bar food!
More low carb appetizer recipes
Low Carb Fried Mushrooms
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: Makes 4 Servings 1x
- 2 jars whole button mushrooms
- 2 cups pork rinds, crushed
- 1 cup of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 large ggg
- Oil for frying
- Drain liquid from mushrooms and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place pork rinds, Parmesan cheese, and garlic powder into a food processor and pulse until the mixture becomes fine and flour like.
- In a shallow dish, combine heavy cream and egg to make a wash. Fork whisk until they are well blended.
- Heat an inch of oil over medium-high heat. I use a high sided wok for stove-top deep frying. The high sides reduce splatter and make clean up a cinch.
- Coat each mushroom in the breading mixture, dip in the egg wash, and then coat in the breading mixture a second time.
- Once the oil is heated and begins to bubble, drop breaded mushrooms in oil and fry until breading is crispy – About 2 minutes each side. Try not to flip the mushrooms too many times as this will cause the breading to fall off.
- After removing mushrooms from oil, allow to cool on a paper towel to soak up excess grease. This will also give the breading a chance to crisp up so that it stays on.
Per Serving - Calories: 414 | Fat: 30g | Protein: 32g | Net Carbs: 4.5g
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
These were awesome. I only had fresh mushrooms so I took your advise and sautéed them in a little butter first, then chilled them til I was ready to bread them. Another trick I read and use is to bread “whatever” ahead of time and chill before frying/baking to help the breading stay on. Thanks!
These were really good! We made kind of a mess with the grease, but glad we tried them. Felt like I was eating fried bar food. Subbed almond flour for the pork rinds because it's what I had on hand. Ate with chipotle aioli.
cristina kadonsky says
These look amazing! Not a fan of mushrooms tho, have you tried them with other veggies?
My goodness... Pork Rinds.... I would never have thought to use them as a breading...
This is a must make recipe...
Thank you.. :O)
Cristina Kadonsky says
Hi, could you use this breading to deep fry any veggie? Looks so good, maybe zucchini?
Peace Love and Low Carb says
I don't see why not. I bet it would be delicious. 🙂