This Philly Cheesesteak French Onion Soup combines two of my favorite things -- the rich cheesiness of a classic French onion soup and a hearty Philly cheesesteak sandwich. Caramelized onions, thinly sliced ribeye, tender bell peppers, aromatic garlic, simmered in a rich broth, topped with melty gruyere and provolone cheeses. It is even keto, low carb and gluten free.
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil, extra for
- 3 large yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or coconut aminos
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup cooking sherry
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 Keto Everything Bun
- 1/2 small red, green, and yellow bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 10 ounce ribeye steak, thinly sliced
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions to the pan and sauté until soft, about 12 minutes.
- Add the butter and continue cooking the onions until they start to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, garlic, thyme, bay, salt, and pepper. Mix in and cook for 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the cooking sherry, and using a rubber spatula, scrape up and mix in any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the beef stock to the pan, bring to a boil, and reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 25 minutes.
- While the broth is simmering, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the peppers to the pan, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the steak to the pan with the peppers and cook until it reaches your desired level of doneness. Add the cooked peppers and steak to the soup. Taste, and add more salt, if desired.
- Discard the bay leaves and divide the soup evenly between 4 large oven proof ramekins. Top each one with 2 pieces of toasted bun and a slice of provolone cheese. Divide the gruyere cheese evenly among the 4 ramekins.
- Preheat the oven to broil. Place the ramekins under the broiler and cook until the cheese is bubbly and brown.
- Garnish with fresh thyme and a sprinkle of black pepper before serving.
- Net carbs per serving: 14.8g
- Storage: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Reheating: Reheat in the microwave, or on the stovetop.
- Meat: In place of ribeye, you can use any cut of steak you prefer. You can even use thinly sliced deli roast beef.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Soup Recipes
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 518
- Fat: 36g
- Carbohydrates: 18.5g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Protein: 24g
Keywords: keto French onion soup, keto Philly cheesesteak, keto soup recipes, low carb soup recipes, gluten free soup recipes, beef soup recipes, paleo soup recipe, keto comfort food recipes