- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts (4 total)
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Lightly season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides. In a large sauté pan over medium-low heat, add 2 tablespoons of the butter and the onions. Cook until the onions are nice and caramelized, about 30 minutes. Remove the onions from the pan and set aside.
- Increase the heat to medium-high heat, add the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and pan-sear the chicken on both sides until it is a deep golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside. (Chicken will not be fully cooking during this stage)
- De-glaze the pan with chicken stock. Using a rubber spatula, scrape up and mix in any remaining bits of chicken stuck to the bottom of the pan. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low to low, add the heavy cream, parmesan, balsamic vinegar, mushrooms and a little salt and pepper. Let simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced by half and thickened.
- Add the chicken and caramelized onions back to the pan, and simmer until the chicken is cooked all the way through, about 10 minutes or until it has reached an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Garnish with fresh parsley
net carbs per serving: 6.7g
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 618
- Fat: 44.2
- Carbohydrates: 7.8g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 44.9g