These Crispy Fish Nuggets are not the frozen fish sticks of your youth. They are breaded with a low carb, gluten free breading, seasoning with lemon pepper, air-fried until perfectly crispy and then served with a deliciously savory tartar sauce recipe. Best of all, they only have 5 ingredients and can be made in under 30 minutes.
- 1 1/2 pounds cod fillets (I get my wild-caught cod here)
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (I use this brand)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 batch Nut Free Keto Breading (get the recipe here)
- avocado oil, for the baking sheet
- Garlic Dill Tartar Sauce, for serving (get the recipe here)
- lemon slices, for serving
- Preheat the air fryer or convection oven to 400°F. Spray a rimmed baking sheet or the tray of your air fryer with spray avocado oil. Alternatively, you can use a paper towel to grease the baking sheet or tray with a little avocado oil. (If you are using an air fryer with a basket, spray both sides of the breaded fish nuggets before putting them into the basket.)
- Pat the cod fillets dry and season with the lemon pepper seasoning. Cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks.
- Set up 3 shallow bowls. Add the coconut flour to the first bowl, eggs and water to the second bowl, and the breading to the third bowl. Use a fork to whisk the eggs and water together.
- Coat a piece of cod in the coconut flour, then dredge it in the egg wash, then coat it in the breading mixture. Repeat this process with all of the cod pieces.
- Place the breaded cod on the prepared baking sheet. If you are using the cooking spray, lightly spray the tops of the nuggets.
- Bake at 400°F, on the middle rack for 10 to 12 minutes (if using a convection oven). Cook on broil for an additional 2 minutes or until they are crispy and golden brown. If you are using an air fryer with a basket, gently place the breaded nuggets into the basket and cook for 10 to 12 minutes. If you are using a toaster oven /air fryer combo, place the breaded cod on the prepared air fryer tray and cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Serve with tartar sauce and fresh lemon slices.
- net carbs per serving: 4g
- If your oven has a convection setting or a true convection setting, this is the same as air frying. Using one of these settings will get your nuggets nice and crispy.
- If you do not like coconut flour, or you are allergic, you can omit it. However, it does help the breading stay on.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Air Frying
- Cuisine: English
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 328
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 6.9g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 43.4g
Keywords: keto fish and chips, low carb fish nuggets, keto fish sticks, gluten free fried fish, keto seafood recipes