This Keto Tuna Casserole has all of the classic flavors of a traditional tuna noodle casserole recipe, while being low carb and gluten free. Rich and flavorful cream sauce, with onion, garlic, peas, celery, herbaceous dill, and bright, fresh lemon, paired with shredded cabbage and albacore tuna, then topped with cheese and baked until it is golden brown and bubbly. It's the perfect quick and easy weeknight meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (I use this brand) code kyndraholley for $5 off
- 2 tablespoons butter
- medium head green cabbage (about 1 1/2 lbs), cut into large shreds
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried dill or 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 - 5oz cans albacore tuna, drained
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Heat the olive oil and butter in an extra large ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- Once heated, add the cabbage, onion, celery, garlic, sea salt and black pepper to the pan.
- Sauté until the vegetables are crisp tender - about 10 minutes.
- Mix in the dill, mustard powder, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Pour the heavy cream and 1 cup Parmesan cheese into the pan. Mix in and keep stirring until the cheese has melted and combined with the heavy cream.
- Reduce heat to medium low and let simmer to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Once the sauce has started to thicken, stir in the tuna and the peas.
- Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan over the top of the dish and transfer to the oven.
- Broil on high for 3-5 minutes or until the Parmesan on top has made a golden brown crust.
- net carbs per serving: 7g
- Storage: store in the fridge in an airtight container up to 3 days. If you plan to store it in the freezer, you can do so before baking for up to 3 months.
- Reheating: for best results, reheat this low carb tuna casserole on the stove top or in the microwave. You can add a little cream as well to keep it from drying out, especially if reheating in the microwave.
- Low carb noodle substitutions: these are plenty of low carb pasta substitutions: zucchini noodles, Shirataki noodles, rainbow vegetable noodles, and even spaghetti squash would work great in this recipe.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Casserole Recipes
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/8th of the recipe
- Calories: 377
- Fat: 28g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 23.5g
Keywords: keto tuna casserole, low carb tuna casserole recipe, low carb pasta substitutions, homemade tuna noodle casserole, cabbage noodle recipes, gluten free tuna casserole