This Baked Heirloom Caprese Salad adds a little color and a whole lot of classic Italian flavors to your meal. Beautiful roasted heirloom tomatoes and garlic, perfectly crispy bacon, plus fresh mozzarella and basil, drizzled with warm bacon vinaigrette. This quick and easy baked Caprese salad makes the perfect low carb appetizer and can be ready in less than 30 minutes.
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled (I get my bacon here)
- 3 tablespoons reserved bacon fat drippings
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into ¼ inch thick slices
- 15 fresh basil leaves
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the bacon fat, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Whisk together with a fork.
- Line the tomato slices in a single layer across the parchment paper and top with the garlic and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add the fresh mozzarella slices and crumbled bacon over the top, drizzle over the bacon vinaigrette. Sprinkle over a little salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
- net carbs per serving: 5g
- Prep notes: slice the tomatoes to a uniform thickness (about 1/2 inch thick) so that they bake evenly.
- Change up the cheese: switch up the flavors and textures by swapping mozzarella with fresh burrata cheese. It is also amazing with shaved Parmesan, crumbled feta, or even goat cheese. Smoked mozzarella is also an excellent choice. Can you tell that I really love cheese?
- Storage: Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days. I like to add the leftovers to a salad, on top of salmon, on a sandwich, or even as toppings for Pizza Eggs.
- Category: Salad Recipes
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 326
- Fat: 25.4g
- Carbohydrates: 6.6g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 14.8g
Keywords: heirloom tomato salad, baked caprese salad, baked heirloom caprese, keto caprese, tomato salad recipes, heirloom tomato recipes