- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter (or butter flavored coconut oil for dairy free)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 pound bulk ground Italian sausage (I get my meat here)
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 small head cauliflower, cored and cut into small florets (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup heavy cream, more to taste (coconut milk for dairy free, paleo, and Whole30)
- 2 packed cups fresh spinach or kale
- Grated parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- In a large Dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat, cook the bacon until it is crispy. Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon from the pot, leaving the drippings in the pot.
- To the bacon drippings, add the butter, onion, garlic, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Sauté until the onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the Italian sausage and red pepper flakes to the pot. Cook until the sausage is browned, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the stock into the pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, until the cauliflower is crisp-tender.
- Stir in the cream and spinach and cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until the spinach is wilted and the soup has started to thicken. Add the cooked bacon to the soup. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. To reheat, add soup and a little extra cream to a sauce pan and warm on the stovetop.
net carbs per serving: 3.1g
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 283
- Fat: 22g
- Carbohydrates: 4.5g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 13g
Keywords: soup, slow cooker soup, instant pot soup recipe, keto soup, low carb soup, cuppa toscana recipe, keto zuppa toscana