These Sweet and Spicy Green Beans are the perfect balance of sweet and savory, with a kick of spice. Fresh haricot vert green beans, blanched and then sautéed with onions and bell peppers - tossed with a rich, buttery sauce made with soy sauce, garlic, crushed red pepper and brown sugar substitute. It is the perfect Asian inspired low carb side dish. It can be ready and on the table in less than 30 minutes.
- 1 pound fresh green beans, cleaned and trimmed
- 1/4 cup butter melted and divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (I use this brand) code kyndraholley for $5 off
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar sweetener (I use this brand) code PEACE for 20% off
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large pot of salted water, bring the green beans to a boil. Boil for 3 to 4 minutes. Drain in a colander and submerge the beans in an ice water bath to shock them and stop the cooking process. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter and the olive oil. Add the green beans to the pan, toss in the butter and olive oil, and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper, onion, garlic, and sea salt and black pepper to taste. Sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter, the soy sauce, sweetener and red pepper flakes. Pour the mixture over top of the green beans and toss until they are well coated.
- Net carbs per serving: 6g
- Storage: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Use asparagus: This Sweet and Spicy Green Bean recipe is also delicious with asparagus in place of the green beans. To make this swap, clean and trim the asparagus and cook it exactly as you would the green beans.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Cuisine: Asian
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 233
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: green bean recipes, asian side dish recipes, asian inspired vegetable recipes, keto side dishes, low carb side dish recipes, paleo green bean recipes, whole30 green bean recipes