For the roast:
For the rub:
- Trim the excess fat off the top of your roast (optional) and season generously all over with sea salt. If you have time to prepare the meat in advance, I recommend letting it sit in the fridge, salted, for 24 hours. If not, no worries. It will still be delicious.
- Preheat the smoker on the low setting (180°F) If you are using a Rec Tec RT700, we used the Xtreme Smoke setting.
- While your smoker is coming to temperature, heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once your pan is hot, sear the roast on all sides, until it is caramelized and a nice crust has formed.
- Transfer it to a plate or a cutting board to cool.
- While the meat is cooling, mix up the spice rub.
- Coat the meat liberally on all sides in the spice rub.
- Transfer the roast to the smoker, placing it directly on the grill grates.
- Smoke until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 140°F (for medium rare)
- Once it reaches the desired internal temperature, remove it from the smoker, tent it with foil, and let it rest for 30 minutes before slicing into it.
net carbs per serving: 0.8g
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 to 6 hours
- Method: smoking
- Serving Size: 8 ounces
- Calories: 300
- Fat: 10.5g
- Carbohydrates: 1.1g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 50.2g
Keywords: smoker recipes, how to cook ribeye roast, rec tec rt700, low carb roast recipe, keto beef recipes