- 1 large butternut squash (about 4 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil (I use this brand) code peaceloveandlowcarb for 15% off
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons rubbed sage (I use this brand of spices)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (this is the only brand of salt I use) code peace for 15% off
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 pound ground sausage (this is where I get my favorite sausage)
- 1 cup heavy cream (sub full fat coconut milk for dairy free or Whole30)
- sour cream, optional garnish (sub unsweetened almond milk yogurt for dairy free or Whole30)
- fried sage leaves, optional garnish
- roasted pepitas, optional garnish.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Spread the cubed squash in a single layer across a rimmed baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil, season generously with salt and pepper, and toss. Roast for 40 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- While the squash is roasting, heat the butter in a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium-low heat. Once the butter is melted, add the onion, garlic, sage, salt, ginger, nutmeg and cayenne. Cook until the onions are translucent and the garlic and spices are fragrant.
- Deglaze pan with ½ cup of the chicken stock, scraping up and mixing in any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan. Transfer the onion mixture, with the liquid to a high-powered blender. When the squash is finished roasted, add the squash and the remaining chicken stock to the blender with the onions and puree until smooth.
- Increase the heat in the pan to medium-high and cook the sausage. Once it is browned, drain the excess grease. Pour the pureed squash back into the pan with the sausage.
- Mix in the half and half, taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Cook on medium for 10 minutes, stirring frequently,
- Then reduce heat to low and let simmer 30 minutes.
- Top with sour cream, fried sage, and pepitas before serving, if using.
net carbs per serving: 7.4g
- Category: soups
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 272
- Fat: 22.4g
- Carbohydrates: 8.8g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 9.2g
Keywords: butternut squash soup, soup recipes, comfort food recipes, real food soup recipes, Keto recipes, gluten free soup recipes, fall recipes