This Keto Shepherd's Pie Recipe (a.k.a keto cottage pie) is the ultimate in low carb comfort food. Ground beef and pork, cooked with carrots, peppers, onions, garlic, and peas in a savory tomato sauce, topped with a layer of sharp cheddar cheese and finished with a layer of creamy cauliflower puree and then baked to perfection. (low carb, keto, gluten free, sugar free, diabetic friendly)
For the Shepherds Pie Filling
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
For the Sour Cream and Onion Cauliflower Mash Topping
- 1 large head cauliflower, cleaned and trimmed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
For the Cauliflower Mash
- Fill a large saucepot with 1 inch of water and place it over high heat. Steam the cauliflower, whole and uncovered, until fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Once the cauliflower is finished cooking, drain the water from the pot. Leave the cauliflower in the hot pot, cover and put back on the stove. Let sit for 5 minutes to help draw out any excess moisture. This is an important step. If you skip this step, you could end up with cauliflower soup.
- Fork mash the cauliflower in the pan. Add the garlic, butter, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, chives, mustard, onion flakes, salt and pepper. Mash until the cauliflower reaches a potato-like consistency and all the ingredients are well incorporated.
For the Filling and Assembling
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, heat the butter and olive oil. Add the onion and garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent, and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the ground beef and ground pork. Cook until the meats are browned and drain any excess grease. Add the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, salt and pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and bell pepper to the pan and sauté for 10 minutes. Then mix in the peas.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a large casserole dish. Top with a layer of Cheddar cheese.
- Spoon the cauliflower mash into a large plastic zip top bag (or pastry bag). Snip off the corner and pipe a thick layer of the cauliflower mash on top of the cheese layer.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the top is golden browned and crisped up in places.
- Make ahead: The cauliflower mash and the filling can both be made ahead of time to create a shorter cook time when you are ready to assemble and bake the shepherds pie.
- Storage: Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Reheating: Reheat in the microwave, oven, or in a pan on the stove top.
- Protein: In place of the ground beef or ground pork in this keto shepherds pie recipe, you could also use ground lamb, bison, sirloin, turkey, or even chicken. Or use any combination of these that sounds good to you.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dinner Recipes
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Irish
Keywords: keto shepherds pie, keto cottage pie, low carb shepherds pie, keto cottage pie, low carb meat pie, keto casserole recipes, keto comfort food recipes